6 Foods for Better Women’s Health
These are a MUST to support those dramatic transitions.
Women’s bodies need specific nutritional support to thrive throughout the various stages of their lives. These powerful superfoods have been shown to address the issues specific to women, supporting longevity and vitality.
1. Sweet Potatoes
With their high vitamin A content, sweet potatoes can keep urinary tract infections at bay. They’re also abundant in complex carbohydrates that give sustained energy and won’t cause blood sugar spikes or mood disturbances.
For women in their childbearing and post-menopausal years, calcium is crucial to maintaining strong bones. Plain yogurt is an excellent source of this essential nutrient, with plenty of beneficial probiotics for gut health.
3. Free-Range Eggs
Eggs are not only great sources of protein, but they’re rich in choline. This essential nutrient has been shown to lower rates of breast cancer. Please choose cage-free, free-range eggs, not only for ethical reasons but for their higher nutritional value.
4. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Although it goes under-reported, cardiovascular disease is one of the top killers of women. Extra virgin olive oil is a boon to heart health, with its monounsaturated fatty acids. These lower LDL (or “bad”) cholesterol and raise HDL (or “good”) cholesterol.
Women who want to have children often take folate supplements to ensure healthy pregnancies. But asparagus is a naturally rich source of this nutrient, along with plenty of prebiotic fibre, which boosts gut health.
Lentils are a potent source of iron, which many women tend to be deficient in. Plus, their fibre and protein content will provide energy, fullness, and better gut health. Keep anemia in check with frequent servings of lentils on salads and in soups.
Recreate your favourite recipe. Or add at least of these #WholeFoods to at least one meal every day. Take care of your body that’s constantly in and out of transitions.
It’ll reward you for being a woman (*humming Doja Cat’s hit number!).
- VA dietician says sweet potatoes have good nutritional value VAntage Point, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Benefits of Probiotic Yogurt Consumption on Maternal Health and Pregnancy Outcomes: A Systematic Review Cureus. 2020 Jul; 12(7): e9408.
- Yogurt: role in healthy and active aging Am J Clin Nutr. 2014 May; 99(5): 1263S–1270S.
- Role of eggs consumption in women at different life stages Nutr Hosp. 2015 Jul 18;32 Suppl 1:35–40.
- Protective Effects and Benefits of Olive Oil and Its Extracts on Women’s Health Nutrients. 2021 Dec; 13(12): 4279.
- Folate (Folic Acid) — Vitamin B9 The Nutrition Source, Harvard T.H.Chan School of Public Health
- Impact of stress on female reproductive health disorders: Possible beneficial effects of shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) Biomed Pharmacother. 2018 Jul;103:46–49.
- A Comparison of a Pulse-Based Diet and the Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes Diet in Combination with Exercise and Health Counselling on the Cardio-Metabolic Risk Profile in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: A Randomized Controlled Trial Nutrients. 2018 Oct; 10(10): 1387.